Home of interesting literary works in their originality. You'll get to read original poems, prose works and other interesting articles.
Sunday, 30 June 2019
THE COLD OF THE BASEMENT - CHAPTER TEN
FEMI
By: Oluwasola Abiola Elisha - ABSOL
I felt I did not deserve all the care and love Juliet was giving me, considering myself and my background, but I did not want to discourage her. I could not really sleep that well because I was going to be ministering in church the following day since I already made the choir master realize that I would be available and being the number one drummer, I was in for a serious business the following day, not minding my health. I could sacrifice anything for drumming and I have counted myself highly privileged to be a drummer in a church as big as my church then, it was the reason I joined no fellowship on campus.
The following morning, as usual, before everyone woke up I was already ready for church, a legacy mommy left for all of us. You cannot get ready before her no matter how hard you tried but unfortunately death had to take her away before her time. A part of me was expecting Juliet to call through Anthony’s phone and another was nonchalant. I woke Anthony up so he could prepare for church as well after fetching his water to bath, after all, even the bible says that we should love our neighbours like ourselves, although loving him was more of diplomacy than following the commandment. I felt I needed to please him so I can still have a place of shelter till the end of the session when hustling for accommodation will begin again.
I was the only one not attending campus fellowship in my room so I had to wake up early enough to catch the church bus when it comes, else, I might end up not going for church service since my financial capability could not take me to church from campus.
Over at church, everyone was looking just as radiant as usual and I was excited despite all that has transpired. After the bible study, I quickly went to meet the choir master who challenged me of not making the rehearsal. I tried to explain to him of my ordeals and he told me to quickly go on drums before the service will start, with a condition that we will discuss further after service.
I was overwhelmed and instead of letting all that has happened kill my spirit, I decided to let go of them and gave my all to my service to God. We were done with the opening hymn where we sang “Higher ground” and just then, I saw the last thing I was expecting to see in the congregation.
©ABSOL
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment